From the time I was young, I knew I always wanted to be a musician. I never ever waivered on that. I was a born musician. I think I sang long before I spoke. I learned how to dance and then added acting classes. I was working on a career in Broadway. That had been my goal since I was about 8 years old. I had been put in theatre class beginning when I was six. I recall my parents speaking about this as if theatre class would channel my being dramatic. It didn't. It made it worse. I learned how to cry on cue. I only got away with crying on cue to get one of my brothers in trouble once. The second time, I got in trouble. I did deserve the time out.
I have no idea how many students I have taught over 38 years. Too many to count. I have been lucky enough to have a career that I could support myself and I was proud of my work and what I did. My mother was so thrilled and proud that I was a teacher. She loved assisting me at competitions and rehearsals. She really did. Mom was always so helpful. Mom and I were very close. She came to most of the music competitions, there was only one that she didn't go too and oh my! I heard about it the entire weekend. All of the teachers that knew my mother asked where was mom? Why did you leave her at home? Let me just tell you never again. I brought mom with me after that. Mom laughed a lot when I told her all about it.
I love teaching. I love sharing the thing I love most in the world with people. I do not know how to market myself in this new world of media. I cannot work full time. I haven't been about to for 19 years now. I would like several new students. I do like teaching here. It is enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment