Thursday, April 25, 2013

What a week!!! Thursday 4-25

Oh my is the best way to describe my week.  Last Saturday morning, I woke up not feeling to well.  I didn't think too much about it.  I often get an upset stomach.  I went down and took some tummy medicine and went back to bed.  Around 7 or so, I woke up again and I still wasn't feeling too well.  I went down stairs and took something else.  After the 3rd time waking up, I realized that something was bleeding in the GI area.  Oh no, this was not good.  All I really wanted to do was go back to bed and sleep.  Everything ached and I mean everything.  Heather, Bill, and kids were at goalball so no one was home.  I drove myself to the hospital.  I am aware that was probably not the best decision I could have made but I did.  I was surprised to discover that they weren't super busy.  I got right in.  I even saw the doctor right away.  He ordered lots of blood tests and an IV.  I had packed a just in case bag.  It was a good thing because he said I wasn't going home.  I ached even more when I got up into my room.  The bed was way more comfortable than the stretcher but at that point, nothing was really comfortable.  I felt so bad.  I had left a message for Bill saying I was in the ER so I needed to call and let him know that I was being admitted.  I also had left Kathy know where I was.  My stomach doctor saw me on Saturday and said that I would be having a stomach scope on Monday.  I expected some kind of scope. (I have been through this before)  Saturday night was so bad as I hurt so bad and my head was really really sore.  I was in tears every time I moved so I tried not to move a lot.  I think I got about 2 hours of sleep between 3:30 and 5:30.  The nursing staff at Beaumont is amazing, especially the nurse assistants.  The one I had on Saturday night, Elaina, was simply amazing.  She didn't make me feel like I was being a bother.  She was so helpful.  She didn't get upset over the tears or anything.  She was great.  The daytime assistants, Vallery and Winne were awesome too.  The staff on that floor was just so great.  I really felt like they were taking good care of me.

Monday, I had the scope and there were now signs of bleeding.  The doctor said I would need to do the colonoscopy the next day.  Ugh.  It isn't the drinking of the stuff as it doesn't have a taste to it or even the test, it is the prep that is bad.  I survived the prep and had the test.  There was no sign of bleeding in the colon either.  It is a healthy looking colon so at least something healthy in my body.  I was discharged on Tuesday night.  Because I didn't have my coumadin since Friday, I have to re-introduce it to my body.  They had to stop the coumadin (blood thinning medicine) because of the bleeding.  I will see Dr. G tomorrow (my PCP) to find out exactly what he would like me to do as far as building the coumadin in my blood again.  I also need to ask him about the swelling in my legs.  Tilley is very concerned about them.  She has been for a while but more so now since she actually saw them on Sunday.  Both Tilley and Maia were upset at the size of my ankles from the swelling and also the swelling in my legs.  I will speak with him about it tomorrow.

I am feeling better than I was although I am very tired.  I have an appointment at 10:45 am.  I plan to take a nap when I get home after the doctor.  I will be bringing my nook to read while I wait.  I also must bring my paperwork from the hospital.  I hope not to have this happen again.  It is the 3rd time this has happened but it has been 5 years since it has happened.

Well, the finale of Project Runway is on and then I am heading for bed.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Heather! I'm so sorry, I know how much you hate the hospital but I'm so glad you went. That is a long time to wait to get the scope so I am glad that nothing got worse over the weekend. You must feel like crap. I am sending you lots of love and light so that you will feel stronger and healthier soon. take care my friend.