Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Neurologist Day 7-17

I am so excited about this appointment that I had this morning.  I was very nervous to go to another neurologist because of what has happened before.  In 2008, I was hospitalized with a really bad headache, I think it was the worst one I have ever had.  I have no idea how I drove to the hospital in Rochester, but I did.  Anyways, they ended up doing 2 CT scans and 2 MRIs.  I have the films from the MRIs.  I was there for a week.  Mom was with me the whole time mainly because she couldn't have stayed home by herself and because she wanted to be.  She refused to go home when I had someone to stay with her.  Hey, I had company all week long, what can I say?  Anyways, I nervously went to the office.  I have been in the building before.  It was in 2008 when I had to see the hematologist after the blood clot.  He was the one who discovered my lovely (NOT) blood disorder.  I was surprised that I went in close to the time my appointment was and the doctor was in rather quickly too!  I am so used to waiting forever, it seems, to get in to see the doctor that this was a complete shock to my system.  I went in and the nurse took my blood pressure.  It was pretty normal.  I usually have very low blood pressure but one of the medicines I take raises my blood pressure to normal.  So, the doctor asked me lots of questions and we talked about the medicines I have tried for headaches.  She also asked me why I haven't seen a neurologist since 2008.  I told her it was because 3 different neurologists said there was nothing that could be done about my everyday headache and the medicine that one of them gave me that was supposed to make the bad ones less painful and less frequent, really didn't work and I felt awful on it.  The good news is that the other neurologists were wrong.  There IS something that can be done about the everyday headaches.  I was shocked, you could have knocked me over with a feather.  I almost cried.  I have had a headache everyday since I got that awful vasculitis in spring of 2003.  The vasculitis cleared up except for the headaches.  I think maybe one morning in summer of 2005, I woke up without a headache but by the afternoon, it was back.  To think that in a few weeks, once the medicine builds up in my system, I may be waking up without a headache, wow, I can't remember what that is like.  I also now have Cambia for the bad headaches.  I have some samples right now and boy do I hope it is not expensive.  The other everyday stuff is not too expensive at all so that is good.  The new doctor also wants me to bring in my MRI films so she can confirm that there isn't anything wrong with the head.  It was a bit funny because she said she is really anal about stuff like that.  She likes to check it out herself.  I will see her again in 6 weeks so I will bring them.

That is mainly what went on today.  I did have several lessons.  They all did so well especially Aubrey.  She is just flying through the piano books.  I have to get her the gift certificate for her points for practicing.  She has chosen Toys R Us.  I think her little sisters might want to take some of their points for Toys R Us certificates too.  Michelle, their mom, will let me know by the weekend.

Oh my!  I almost forgot the other good news!  Since I have been eating much, much, much, much, much (you get the picture) healthier, I have lost 7 pounds!  Okay, I have much more to lose, but this is a good start!  Well, time to read before bed.  I get to see my wonderful friend, Jennie tomorrow for her lesson.  She is going to audition for a play in her town and it is a musical so I am helping her get ready for the audition.  We are having a good time together along with her learning more about her voice.

2 comments:

  1. I just love getting good news at the doc. I can't begin to imagine having a headache for that long...but then again, I vomited every single day for eight years before they found something to help and then I had to go out of the country to get it! Yikes, we are slaves to our medications eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fantastic news Heather! So glad they have a solution. Headaches are so debilitating.

    ReplyDelete