Saturday, October 19, 2013

Home Again 10-19

I am so glad to be home after an overnight visit to the hospital.  While I am truly glad we have a great hospital right near by, I dislike having to visit it too often.  I canceled lessons on Thursday because my head hurt so bad.  I went to take a nap, well, my head did not get better, in fact it got even worse because my neck was also in extreme pain too.  (more on the neck issue in a minute).  So I went downstairs to where Heather BT was and asked if she could drive me to the hospital.  I wasn't sure with the upset stomach that I could drive but if necessary, I am sure I could have.  She and I got in the van and off we went.  We didn't really have to wait that long, much to my surprise.  I was in the minor care area, a place I have never been in but hey, it was an ER room and trust me, I am not that picky of where.  I have even been in the hallway.  I saw the doctor right away too.  I had the good old check of a blood clot both by the blood test and the CT scan.  My CT scan was negative so there was no stroke or a blood clot, of which I am most thankful for.  I didn't think I had either as I didn't have sudden onset of pain, which both would require.  So I got some pain medicine.  I received something for the nausea and morphine.  The stuff for the nausea worked well, the morphine didn't work at all and I mean not one drop helped my pain.  Through out the night I went on to receive more morphine and it didn't do a thing.  I was asked whether I wanted to go home with pain meds or stay and see the neurologist, who incidentally is my neurologist, so I opted to stay and boy am I glad I did.  I went up to a hospital room about 3 am.  I slept sort of on and off until about 7:30 am when Dr. Young, my neurologists partner came in.  She checked me over and said that this headache was actually from my neck nerves being inflamed!  Whooh,  I know!  I thought my neck was super sore because of my headache when in actuality is was the opposite.  My headache was because of the neck pain.  This, of course, is on top of the regular headache that I always have.  Dr. Young prescribed me some steroids and a muscle relaxer to help stop the pain.  I received them plus another dose of morphine at about 10 am.  Yup, you guessed it, it didn't help the pain at all.  The regular doctor was floored.  This usually helps but it didn't help me.  I was in so much pain and nothing was working.  I have been in this position before so I know how to stay calm through it although at times there were some upset moments because nothing was working.  Finally, about 2 pm the nurse brought in a bag to go through the IV.  This was what she called the big guns for migraines.  The nurse also said it may put me to sleep.  Wow, it could lessen the headache and help me sleep, please put it in my IV!!!!  Hurry up!  Please!  I am so exhausted that I need some sleep and help with the pain!  Well, it WORKED!  It brought the pain down to a 7 from a 10, which is more manageable for me.  5 to 6 is what I usually have so 7 isn't too bad at all.  I was discharged after that.  I am so glad to be home that is for sure.

Today I had a couple more lessons that usual because of some makeups for the lessons I missed on Thursday and Friday.  Sarah and Ryan are making up their lessons this weekend.  Ryan is coming tomorrow.  Megan is also making up her lessons too.  She and Sarah came today.  Natalie will hopefully be coming on Monday.  I am so glad that I have such good students and parents who understand that I was ill and are willing to work with me on make up lessons.  I dislike canceling lessons a lot.  I really do.  I want to keep the flow of what the student is learning and not break it because I am ill but sometimes, you just have no choice.

I have to see my neurologist this week to discuss nerve blockers and I also need to see Doctor Gradolph for a follow up in 2 weeks.  Why I need to see Dr. G I don't know.  I can totally see about Dr. R but not Dr. G.  I will do it since the hospital says so.  I also need to call Dr. J on Monday because the cellulitis site still hurts a bit so she needs to know.  I was supposed to call on Friday but well, you know where I was.

Well, I have to pay a couple of bills and then add a magazine to a package that is going to my swap partner.  I love these swaps that we are having.  We also call them care packages for fibro fighters!  They are so fun to get and so fun to shop for.  We have a budget so we can't go over it, but wow is it fun picking things out for a new friend!  I also am way behind on my words with friends, however, I will probably not do anything with that until tomorrow.  I am on the 3rd book in a series so I am anxious to start reading it.  At first I was disappointed that I didn't bring my nook with me to the hospital but then I realized I wouldn't have been able to read anyway, I was in too much pain!  Silly me!  What was I thinking!

Have a beautiful evening or night!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Heather, I feel so bad for you. That sounds just miserable and I am so sorry it took so long to get relief. Please find out why this is's just not right. Thinking of me your address ok?