Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Mom is home. She did not get a MRI done because the neurologist didn't want to do one. She didn't see the same thing in the CT scan results as the emergency doctor. Yes, there is some shrinkage, which is normal for Alzheimer's. Right now she is in the living room sleeping even though I don't really like her sleeping this late in the day. However, today was not a normal day, so she can sleep away. She didn't have a nap today or yesterday so I imagine she is exhausted. I am and I had a brief nap yesterday, mind you it was at about 6:30 pm, but it was a nap, nonetheless. I am glad they decided not to do a MRI because they would really need to knock her completely out for it. She would flip. I have had one and I can't see her being able to handle it. I didn't like it one bit and I had to have 2 of them. That is definitely one experience I never want again. The main reason they didn't do one was because if she had a stroke, there is nothing they can do about it. It would be a silent stroke, not a major one where there are symptoms. Vascular Dementia is usually caused by strokes and that is what Mom has, according to the neurologist at the hospital. We both just got lucky that she didn't break anything.

I am relieved to have her home and resting. I am pretty calm over the whole thing now. Pain level has gone down a bit since the meeting with the neurologist this afternoon. I was in a lot of pain last night that I had to come down and take another pain pill just so I could try to get some sleep. I should sleep very well tonight with both of us here. I called her neurologist to let her know Mom was in the hospital again and why. Tomorrow I have to have the hospital fax over the reports to Dr. T for her records. When I go into the cardiologist tomorrow I will let Dr. G know that Mom is home and she is fine. The cardiologist is in the same office as our family doctor. Makes it easier to have the records in one place. I also found out that the tummy doctor now comes once a month to my family doctor's office too. I still just go to his office because I see his assistant and we like her a lot. I am very tired today too, just like Mom. Mom is walking about as good as I imagined. I don't know if I will get her up the stairs. If not, the hospital bed is still here and even though she hates it, she may end up sleeping on it. We will see. She is resting now so she may be okay going up tonight. Her left side is a bit sore she says. I have a prescription for liquid adult Tylenol that I am going to get filled for her. Also I have talked to the doctors office to ask for a better pain medicine for Mom rather than children's Tylenol. Maybe a patch or something like that. We shall see what they give us.

Anyways, life is back to the normal for us. We are going to lie low as Richard calls it, for the next few days. Nothing too exciting for the little Mom and I like that. I have 1 lesson tomorrow and then the cardiologist appointment so we shall see what he has to say. I still say it was just stress that caused the chest pains. I haven't had any since either so that is good.

I hope September brings you joy and happiness for the fall! I so glad the summer is almost over!


  1. So glad to hear your mom is home, Heather. I wish the best for both of you! Take it easy now, OK? Hugs, Missy

  2. Souunds like you've finally got things under control..