Friday, October 21, 2011

Friday 10-21

I slept in this afternoon.  I was so tired.  I don't really know why I was extra tired but I was.  Tomorrow I have to get up a bit earlier than usual because I have early lessons.  I don't mind.  Sandra is only every other week at this point.  I will also have Camille tomorrow.  Today I have Acer, Calli, and Emily.  Acer is working on "When the Saints Go Marching In."  He now has both hands down pat and the entire song.  Calli is working on her Christmas pieces.  She is playing "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" and "The Little Drummer Boy".  We have only started the Hark the Herald now.  She knows all of her right hand and the first page of her left hand.  I am very pleased with her progress.  Acer will start his Christmas song next week.  He started his vocal Christmas Song today.  He is singing "Mary Had a Little Baby".  It is a beautiful spiritual that he sings very well.  Calli is singing "Ave Maria" and "In the Bleak Midwinter".  She sings them both really well.  She knows In the Bleak really well and we are working on the first verse of Ave.  We should be starting the second verse next week.  She has such a lovely voice, and her range, oh my, she has about a 3 octave range and she is 11!  Yes, I said 11!  It is very unusual but wonderful that she is so gifted with music.  Emily is borrowing my Theory Games CD.  She is going to load it on her computer and play the game.  It is part of her assignment now.  I think she will like it a lot.  She is such a good student.  She still has trouble with notes but only some of them.  I do think the computer game will work well for her and help her with her notes.

My left shoulder had been giving me a lot of problem for the last 2 years.  I have bursitis in that shoulder but for some reason, it has been doing much better!  I can lift my arm up.  I still can't put it behind my back very well, but I can lift it up!  I was excited when I discovered this this week.  I went to lift my arm up to reach and normally when I forget and use the wrong arm, it hurts.  Well, it took me a few minutes to realize that it was the wrong arm but it didn't hurt!  Now, if only my left hip would be this better.  I am so excited about my left shoulder though.  I knew eventually some of the shoulder would come back to normal but I didn't know when.  I am glad that I have more mobility with it for now.  I will take what I can get that is for sure!

So far this week has been decent.  Tuesday, the anniversary, wasn't as bad as I feared and the rest of the week was good with lessons.  I only had 1 absence, Breanna, yesterday.  I had Brooke and Brianne who were new.  Brooke had 1 lesson about 3 weeks ago but it was Brianne's first lesson with me.  I think we did well together.  Both Brooke and Brianne picked their Christmas music and started the songs.  So far almost everyone has started their music except for a few that will be starting this coming week.  I should have an idea in the next week or two when the Christmas Concert will be.  After I have all the music copied and passed out, it will be time to find out who is going to competition.  I know that Katie, Rebecca, and Aggie are planning to go but I am not sure who else will be going.  I don't have major plans for Saturday or Sunday except for lessons like last week, but that is okay.  Last weekend was wonderful from the parade on Friday to the reunion on Saturday and then Karlyn and crew's visit on Sunday evening.  It was wonderful to see these friends of mine.

I have to say that without my friends, students and their families, and my family, I think this last year would have been even harder.  It was the worst year of my life, hands down.  It was worse than when my dad left, when my brother was kidnapped by my dad, or any other horrible incident.  Losing my mother was the worst.  I never imagined living a life without her and yet, I am.  I am busy with my students and planning for a concert and the competition.  I have found ways to do housework that I haven't been able to do in a few years.  I learned new tricks to get dressed all by myself, something that hadn't happened for about 2 years before Mom passed away.  I have learned a lot of things that I haven't done in a long time.  I am pleased that I can be mostly independent where before I had to take care of mom all the time, she helped me with a lot of things I couldn't do on my own.  Once Mom became to ill to help me, she and I had already devised ways for me to do these things on my own.  That allowed me to be able to help Mom when she needed me.  I do miss helping her all the time.  She smiled so much and was so easy (most of the time) to work with.  I came up with our routines and they worked for us.  I just can't believe at times that it has been a year.

I do hope you are having a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment