Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I had my 2 lessons today, Charlie and Zachary. Both are doing pretty well. Zachary got a new piece today and is almost finished with 2 pieces. He sight reads so well that he sometimes slides on practicing, not often, but sometimes. Charlie plays the tenor sax so his lessons are different than the voice lessons. He plays out of a exercise book and is almost finished with the one he is in. I will be ordering the next book for him this week. I am rather excited about that because he is doing so well right now. Mom was very cute during the lesson. We had paused after one of Charlie's exercises and Mom said, "get to work". Isn't that cute? Just shows a bit of how well she is doing. She can follow the lessons much better now and seems to be enjoying the music better now.

I am reading the book club book today. I just started it. Usually, I am finished by now, but because we didn't have book club in June, I wanted to wait to read the book so I wouldn't forget the book, which can easily happen to me. I have been known to have to read the book twice to remember it. Sometimes the fog overpowers me and my memory.

It has been a quiet day. I am still recovering from the busy weekend. After our usual, we came home and I worked on the computer for a bit before heading into the living room to relax. Well, as soon as I sat down and got my blanket (love my Mickey Mouse throw blanket!), I fell asleep. I remember looking at the time and it was 1:30 pm. I woke up 1 time at 2:30 and quickly went back to sleep. The next thing I knew it was 4:00 pm and Zachary had arrived for his lesson. I heard the door open and Zachary walking in. I was awake by the time he had his music set up and the piano bench in position for me and the CD player on with the first CD ready. I expect it will be a couple more days before I am fully recovered from the vacation. That is the downside of going on vacation, even small 3 day ones, the recovery time. Mom usually sleeps between 2 and 4 anyways so it isn't a problem for me to go to sleep too.

Mom has been sort of playing with her new toys. She likes playing with the tissues and the tissue box more. I have to reload the tissues back into the box in the mornings in case someone needs one. At least she is entertained by all this tissue box stuff so I don't really mind. I have accepted that the fiddling toys are not as fascinating to her as the tissue box. I will get more tissues if necessary. They aren't that expensive and I can buy the cheap ones for her too.

It has been a bit cooler today and not as much humidity, so I was a happy camper for that today. I saw the news tonight and more hot and humid days are ahead of us. This isn't too surprising since we are in the month of July, but I don't really have to like it. We fall and spring girls are just aching for our months to arrive where we can breath and do better. But it still can be worse so I try to focus on that, it could be much worse. I have friends who are having over 100 degrees where they are living and that would be worse.

I hope this finds you doing well and enjoying your night.


  1. Hi Heather, Does your mom have Alzheimer's? I ask because my dad did and your description sounds like something a person with dementia would do. It must be very hard to take care of her and your boys at the same time under the same roof. Make sure you take some time for yourself...

  2. Hi Selena!!!

    Yes, my mom has Alzheimer's! The boys are my students so I only see them once a week. I don't have any children, just Mom, so it isn't so hard for me as it is for others who are taking care of parents. How is your Dad doing? What stage is he in? Mom is in stage 6.

  3. My Dad passed away in 2004. He lived an in assisted living facility close to my home after the death of my mother in 1999. He only spent a week in a skilled nursing facility, which was the week leading up to his death. He had gotten to the point were swallowing was problematic, which lead to pneumonia.

    I tried to spend a lot of time with him, but I was working then so didn't have much time. The facility took really good care of them, but that was because I made a lot of surprise visits to keep them on their toes.

    I miss him very much.