Sunday, May 8, 2011

It's Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day!

It has been a good one despite not having Mom here with me.  I went and picked up my friend, Donna and we went to Burger King.  We had about 2 1/2 hours there laughing and talking.  It made me miss Mom less for a little while.  Then I went to Walmart because it occurred to me that they wouldn't be too busy today and I really needed some milk and bread.  i got some good buns.  I also managed to pick up a few other things too.  I never seem to be able to go and pick up only what I need!  I can out $56 later but I would have bought some of the food later this week anyways, so with the exception of the magazines (they had the Royal Wedding on the cover) everything will be eaten or consumed in some way.

Then I came home and called the #1 Mom on my list, Kathy.  We chatted for a while.  It was nice.  Her kids made her some stuff and hubby is cooking dinner tonight.  They may all go for a bike ride after dinner.  Sounds like a fun evening.  I will be making my dinner soon and then just relaxing and watching TV.  I have successfully survived my first Mother's Day without the little lady.  I was so afraid that I would melt down like crazy on this day but I didn't.  While I am missing her a lot, in is the same everyday.  It has changed.  I don't think it will.  Some days are just more bearable than others.  I don't expect that to change too.

Last year, Mom was still okay at this time of the year.  She was in stage 6 at this point.  We had started on disposable undies for her.  She could walk by herself without any assistance but she preferred to hold my hand for direction even in the stores that I ride the scooter in.  It was so cute!  She was very quiet, but that really wasn't anything new.  Mom was a pretty quiet person most of the time except around me.  We could chat all day about everything and we did.  She was able to watch TV at that point too and still go to movies.  It wasn't until late June that TV frightened her.  So we were able to spend Mother's day watching her favorite movies, old Disney flicks. She simply loved them.  I don't remember which ones we watched, had I known it was to be her last, I would have paid stricter attention to those details.  At that point, I expected to have her for a few more years, little did I know it would be months, not years.  I did take her to Olive Garden or Red Lobster, I am not sure which, we loved both of them.  We had a nice early dinner together and then we watched more movies.  We laughed and giggled all day together. I bought her flowers that she had picked out.  We went to the flower shop on Saturday and I asked her what her favorite flowers were.  I was surprised by her answer, because I always thought roses were her favorite, and while she loves them, tulips are her favorite.  We got a huge bouquet of tulips that lasted about 2 weeks for her.  She loved them.  They were so beautiful.  i was going to get me a bouquet of them but I thought that would make me sad so I didn't.  It was really one of the last months that were good for her.  July was a good month, but the end of May and beginning of June were awful for her and starting in mid August is when she really started sliding downward.  But at this point in May we were having a good time.  We also called my little brother because it was his birthday too.  She chatted a bit with him and so did I.  Over all, it was a good Mother's Day for her.

I have picked some pictures of her to show.









The first one was when she was 11 years old.  I love that picture.  The rest are just randomly chosen from when she was young to last March when she was 76 and about 7 months before she passed away.  I hope you like my choices!


Happy Mother's Day to all the wonderful Moms!!!!!  I hope it has been a good day for you too!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome photos Heather. Great memories for you. Have a great week!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather, just now getting here..thank you for sharing pictures of you beautiful mom..glad it was not such a tough day and that you had friends to share it with!..

    hugs
    Barb

    ReplyDelete