Saturday, December 4, 2010

Decorating for the Holiday

I went to see Rachel and Rebecca's play this morning.  It was good.  Rebecca had one of the leads and Rachel had another.  Both are quite good.  I got back just after 12 noon.  I called Lily to let her know I was home and whenever they could come for decorating would be fine for me.  I wasn't picky at all.  Lily's family was having a new couch delivered today so I had time to have a nap, which I desperately needed as I was very weepy this afternoon before the nap.  I started getting weepy right when I left the play.  Mom would have loved it and that made me sad because she isn't here to see it.  Sometimes these thoughts don't make me weepy, but today since I was tired it did.  After my nap, I felt much better.  Julie and I were discussing how Mom gave up at the end and I think that is what upsets me the most.  Because once she asked me what was going on with her memory, she seemed to fly through the last few stages on Alzheimer's.  Well, she doesn't have it now.

Lily and Julie arrived and Lily went right down the stairs to get the tree.  We brought up the ornaments, and the nativity snow globe (the coolest one ever).  We took down everything on the piano so we could decorate it too.  The one I use isn't decorated because I need to use it when I teach.  I do hope the New Year brings new students or another part time job.  Well, we shall see what God will do.  It is all up to him.

Julie went right to work so did Lily.  I did a bit, but they did most of the work.  It took about 2 hours to get it all finished.  I mentioned I needed to make a cake for tomorrow and Lily was like, cool, let's go.  Well, she did pretty much everything for it.  She put it together.  We used Betty Crocker mix.  She added the extra ingredients and used my new mixer.  It works great.  She did a great job.  She tasted it and said it tasted great.  Then we put it in the oven for whatever amount it needed.  Julie frosted it for us as I think we started frosting it a bit too early and it was too warm.  Julie frosted it and then Lily decorated it.  She even signed her name on it.  It was just too cute.  She did a great job.

We talked for a while after we were finished.  Lily took the last piece of garland and draped it over the hallway entrance at the bottom of the stairs.  She was so cute trying to get the tack into the plaster.  She finally found a hammer and got it in.  She did a great job on the garland.  It is perfect.

All in all it was a good day despite my teariness.  I also managed to get a load of laundry done too!  Wasn't that great?  I just have a couple more loads and I am all caught up.  I do have a big pile that needs to be put away.  I will work on that next week.  that is my small goal of the year, put the pile of laundry away.  I want the utility room all ready and put back together with the clothes put all by Christmas.  For New Years I want to have the living room back to the way it belongs with the rest of Mom's things that doesn't need to be there gone.  I will also have the china cabinet the way I want.  Julie found the dinner plates to the good dishes in the cabinet under the china cabinet.  I knew they were there somewhere, but not I know where they are and that makes me smile.

I hope your day is going well too.  I am ready for Christmas, well as ready as I can be without Mom.  I think she is happy that I have decorated some.  I didn't go over the top like I would have had she been here, but I did some.  Maybe next year.  Who knows what the new year will bring.  We can only wait and see.


  1. Well take a picture and show it off!

  2. I haven't even started decorating yet! I just haven't had it in me. I'm hoping hubby will help me this evening. I'm so glad you had a good nap and some help with everything:) Take care!

  3. Maybe your mother was not so much giving up. Maybe her body was telling her that it was time to slow down, and to find peace. She has now - she has received the promise.