Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Spring, where did you go?

I am freezing right now.  I have a sweatshirt and fleece pants on and I am still cold.  It is because of the freezing rain we are getting, I think.  All I know is that I turned on the little heater.  It is blowing right on me and boy does it feel nice!  Heaven!

Despite the freezing rain, I bravely (he he he) drove to my friend, Donna's house to pick her up.  She can't drive right now because she was in an accident about a month ago and it totaled her car.  She has had more health problems since then too.  I feel so bad for her but I am glad she is getting good care from the doctors.  That is the important thing.  So I picked her up and off we went to Burger King for lunch.  She treated me! It was very cool.  We were there for about 2 hours chatting away.  Sometimes she speaks very softly and I can't hear her so I have to say speak up.  I have 50% hearing loss in each ear.  When I was young I had some infections that caused the hearing loss.  One in particular I never told Mom that my ears hurt and were plugged so I didn't go and get the medicine until I had had the problem for about 7 months.  My Math and Science teacher finally asked if I could hear him and I said no.  He was standing and quickly sat down.  He couldn't believe it so during the break between classes he called me up and asked how long it had been since I could hear him in class.  I said since October (this was May by this time).  He immediately let everyone of my teachers know I couldn't hear.  I never got moved so fast in my life, I was immediately moved to the front of the room for every class.  It didn't stop there.  He went to my counselor and told him and then they called Mom and told her.  She was as flabbergasted as they were because I never told anyone.  I had an ear doctor specialist appointment for about 2 days later after than and then a few weeks later I had surgery on my ears and I could hear a bit better.  I went from 75% hearing loss to 50%.  The specialist told my mom that because I didn't say anything for months it was too late to save more of my hearing.  I did try hearing aids but they gave me headaches because everything, and I mean, everything is amplified.   I still don't wear hearing aids.  Generally I am okay in most situations.  I do fine with the phone, only a few voices are hard to hear.  Mom was so upset with me that she made me promise that if I even had a smidge of a sore throat or ear ache to tell her immediately, no matter if we were fighting or not getting along, which is why I never told her.  She was mad at me for something and I didn't want to get into trouble.  Well, I didn't get in trouble, but I did do permanent damage to my ears so lesson was a hard one to learn!

So anyways, I digress.  We had a wonderful time.  She misses Mom too because she used to come and pick Mom up to go with her places when we had the store.  She would drop her granddaughter off for her trumpet lesson and then she and Mom would go for ice cream sometimes.  Donna would sometimes come during the day to whisk Mom away with her for running errands and stuff like that.  She liked Mom's company.  Sometimes I would come down the stairs at the store and Mom would be gone.  I always knew who she was with because there would be a note that says, I have Mom!  Mom loved that. Donna was a good friend to Mom and she is a good friend to me.  Today was the first day I have actually seen her though since probably about November.  We talk frequently on the phone though, about every few days.  It was nice to see her in person for a change.

I don't have any lessons today so it is a bit of a boring day now.  I have some good books to read though and I want to put the sheets and blankets on Mom's bed for guests when I have them.  I just have to vacuum the one side of the room and make up the bed then Mom's room is officially done.  There are two boxes in the closet with some Disney stuff in them.  I have some of her stuff in my room too.  There are some boxes in the garage too of Mom's stuff that I have to go through.  I will after tax season when Lily and her mom, Julie are available to help.  Julie is going to help me with the family room.  All after tax season which officially ends April 19 this year.  I can wait until then no problem!  I am thankful for the help for these type things.  I can't wait until the sewing area is put together.  That should be very cool!  I am looking forward to having a family room I can use again.  It has been about 5 years now since we haven't been able to use it.  I plan to have the students over during the summer for craft afternoons.  I have 2 kits full of beaded ornaments to make.  there are about 50 ornaments you can make in each kit so that is plenty.  It should be lots of fun too!

Anyways, this is getting long and I have discovered that blogspot cuts out some of your post if you are too long.  Mean old blogspot!  I do hope this finds you doing well and having a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment